Nature Happenings- July
- NABA National Butterfly count.
- Butterfly Weed is in bloom.
- Look for Monarch caterpillars on milkweed foliage.
- Queen Anne's Lace blooming.
- American Goldfinches are our last birds to nest, waiting for mature thistle plants to provide nesting material and food for their young.
- Keep finch feeders full of fresh Nyjer® (commonly referred to as thistle) seed.
- Robins have finished nesting, but will readily visit yards in search of worms and berries.
- Plant berry-producing shrubs or offer cherries, cranberries, raisins, grapes, or blueberries to help robins feed their young.
- Look for hummingbirds feeding on Trumpet Creeper, Columbine and Penstemon.
- Mallards and Wood Ducks molt into their "eclipse" plumage and are unable to fly for several weeks.
- First brood of immature hummingbirds begin to show up at nectar feeders later in the month.
- Delta Aquarids Meteor shower peaks in late-July.