JUNE Nature Happenings
- June is Perennial Garden Month & National Rivers Month
- Luna moths can be seen at night.
- Garter snakes are seen in yards.
- Viceroy, Fritillary and Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly mating seasons.
- Listen for the trilling sound of the Black-Chinned Hummingbird's wings as it darts about in search of insects, nectar and females.
- Keep nectar feeders fresh and change sugar solutions every three days as the temperature rises.
- Many summer birds are not frequent feeder visitors but will seek out fresh water to beat the summer heat.
- In new open space, watch for Say's Phoebes nd various flycatchers to search for flying insects and water to wash them down.
- Some cavity-dwelling species may attempt to start a second brood, so check your nest boxes to clean out sterile eggs, spiders, wasps or other debris and consider adding fresh cedar shavings.